The National Hemophilia Foundation was pleased with the success of its inaugural 2008 national walk initiative at five pilot sites around the country. The walks drew 2,700 walkers, who raised more than $1 million from individuals and teams, and national and local sponsors alike.
Congratulations go out to the five chapters that participated this year: the Arizona Hemophilia Association, Hemophilia of North Carolina, Lone Star Chapter of NHF, the Northern Ohio Hemophilia Foundation, and NHF in conjunction with the New York City Hemophilia Chapter. We applaud your hard work and enthusiasm for the new Walk program.
NHF’s Hemophilia Walk is a nationwide event that raises funds and awareness about hemophilia and other bleeding and clotting disorders. Participants raise money for crucial research, advocacy and education by joining together in a fun and festive event.
Setting its sites on 2009, the initiative is growing and expanding, more than doubling its size and scope. The 11 NHF Walk sites for 2009 and the chapters hosting them are:
- Arizona Hemophilia Association (Phoenix)
- Central Ohio Chapter of NHF (Columbus)
- Hemophilia Foundation of Michigan (Ypsilanti)
- Hemophilia Foundation of Southern California (LA)
- Hemophilia of Indiana (Indianapolis)
- Hemophilia of North Carolina (Cary)
- Lone Star Chapter of the NHF (Houston)
- Nebraska Chapter of NHF (Lincoln)
- New York City Hemophilia Chapter
- Northern Ohio Hemophilia Foundation (Independence)
- Western Pennsylvania Chapter of NHF (Pittsburgh)
The national presenting sponsor for the Hemophilia Walk 2008 was Baxter Healthcare. National premier sponsors were Bayer, CSL Behring, Grifols and Wyeth.