NHF is looking for a Development Specialist to join our team. The Development Specialist will be responsible for the production and writing, fundraising materials as a member of the Advancement team. These materials include grants, grant reporting, corporate proposals, and other materials that will support NHF. Development Specialist is also responsible for researching, and analyzing prospects for major gift discovery, cultivation, and solicitation.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
- Will be responsible for collaborating with other members of NHF’s Advancement team to create fundraising project summaries, funding proposals, stewardship reports, other written materials for internal and external audiences.
- Be responsible for researching prospects-corporate, individual, and foundations, and existing donors.
- Work cross departmentally to research funding opportunities, including private foundations, corporations, and other non-pharmaceutical companies.
- Will be responsible for project managing, editing, and/or principal writer for a wide variety of print and electronic projects, including funding proposals for individuals, corporations, foundations, and other organizations; campaign-related promotional materials; annual stewardship reports for select foundation donors; and project summaries for a diverse array of fundraising goals.
To qualify for this unique opportunity, our ideal candidate should have the following skills, education and experience:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two to four years of professional experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field.
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices and procedures related to the position, including: expertise in use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; familiarity with appropriate business software applications; use of best practices in proposal development; ability to conduct research; understanding of branding and positioning strategies for the institution and for specific projects; ability to "ghost write" for various NHF staff, and volunteers; ability to learn subject-specific terminology for use in developing written materials; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication.
- Comfortable performing research and data entry tasks, strong writing ability, and other duties essential for a development program.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of constituent databases, preferably Donor Perfect and Wealth Engine
- Demonstrated knowledge of business correspondence, marketing materials and reports.
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills. Ability to easily change writing styles to fit the audience and voice of the piece.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining good relations with colleagues.
- Ability to quickly and effectively gather information by means of interviews, database research, etc