To facilitate quality physical therapy services for people with bleeding disorders and to foster sustainable physical therapist (PT) involvement in the bleeding disorders community.
The National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) PT Travel Scholarship (‘Scholarship’) program provides financial support annually for a qualified PT or physical therapist assistant (PTA) to participate in the NHFBDC.
- NHF will annually provide funding to enable a qualified PT(s) or PTA(s) to participate in the NHFBDC.
- Funding may be used for registration, travel, and/or up to two nights lodging.
- The NHF Physical Therapy Working Group (PTWG) will annually coordinate & execute the Scholarship Program.
- PT mentorship will be provided to the PT/PTA Travel Scholar (‘Scholar’) to foster an environment of inclusion, and facilitate a positive experience.
- The Scholar will participate fully in the NHFBDC.
- Within one year after participation in the NHFBDC, the Scholar will provide a brief presentation (live, video, or other) that indicates how new knowledge was integrated into clinical practice, research, and/or advocacy.
- The Scholar will remain engaged in the bleeding disorders community for at least 2 years post-NHFBDC participation.
- The NHF PT Scholarship Committee (‘Committee’) will optimize the effectiveness of the Scholarship program via quality improvement methodology, including but not limited to the collection and analysis of one and two year outcomes for each selected PT or PTA.
- Possesses and maintains an active PT or PTA license in good standing in the United States (US) or US Territory.
- Is unable to obtain adequate funding to participate in the NHFBDC through other sources.
- Possesses basic bleeding disorders knowledge.
- Demonstrates at least one year of clinical care in the bleeding disorders community.
- Is able and willing to remain engaged in bleeding disorders community for at least 2 years post-NHFBDC participation.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the following items to the NHF Manager of Healthcare Providers by the due date indicated above.
- NHF PT Travel Scholarship Application (‘Application’)
- Letter of support from direct supervisor verifying that time off from work to participate in NHFBDC will be approved.
- Reference letter of support by HTC member, professional colleague or patient/family in bleeding disorders community.
- Copy of current resume or CV.
Application Due Date: May 31, 2019
Notification of Results by: July 31, 2019
- The Committee reviews and scores all applications using the attached rubric.
- If more than one applicant is highly qualified, phone interviews may be conducted to assist in the selection process.
- The Committee selects the most qualified applicant and offers the Scholarship to that applicant.
- If the selected applicant declines the Scholarship, is unable to participate in the NHFBDC, or is unable to remain engaged in the bleeding disorders community for at least two years, the Committee may withdraw the offer and offer it to the next most qualified Applicant.
- If the selected applicant accepts the Scholarship, the NHF Manager of Healthcare Providers will assist the Scholar with NHFBDC registration, travel and lodging arrangements.
- A PTWG member will mentor the Scholar before, during and after the NHFBDC to facilitate inclusion and a positive experience.
- The Committee notifies all applicants of the selection results by the date indicated on the application form, i.e. prior to the close of the NHFBDC registration period, to enable the applicant to seek alternate funding options.
- If no applicants qualify for the Scholarship, the designated NHF funds are forfeited.