During this hurricane season, please be sure you are prepared and have emergency action plans in place. Here are some tips and resources that may help.
- To search for a hemophilia treatment center near you, please visit the HTC directory here.
- If you need to find shelter you can do so by calling the Red Cross at 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767), visiting redcross.org or by downloading the free Red Cross Emergency App. The Emergency App is available in app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.
- Take your entire factor supply and related supplies with you
- If your product requires refrigeration, have adequate number of cold packs/coolers available
- If your factor is normally refrigerated, check with your pharmacy or manufacturer in advance to determine how to handle if refrigeration is not available during an emergency.
- Take all other medications
- Make sure you/your family members have appropriate medical alert tags/jewelry
- Place the following items in a waterproof baggie/container
- Copy of a travel letter provided by your HTC
- Copy of your insurance card(s)
- Contact information for:
- Your hemophilia treatment center
- Local chapter
- Your specialty pharmacy provider
- Your manufacturer’s assistance program (click here) – click where?
- For a copy of MASAC recommendation #227 regarding home factor supply for emergency preparedness, click here.
- Individuals with mobility issues
- Keep your emergency supply kit in a backpack attached to your walker, wheelchair or scooter.
- Keep your adaptive equipment and things that help you get around close to you.
- Pack items you would need if you have a service animal.
- Pack extra batteries to keep mobility devices working.
- Identify the easiest rout to get around in your home.
- If you can’t use your wheelchair or the stairs, be able to tell people how to lift and carry you safely.
For additional safety and preparedness information, please visit our Steps For Living program here.
Stay safe and listen to your local authorities. We are here to support you and your needs in any way we can.