Susan Skinner Memorial Fund (SSMF) Scholarship
The Susan Skinner Memorial Fund (SSMF) Scholarship was established in 2007 by the World Federation of Hemophilia USA (WFH USA) to support the training of women with bleeding disorders, or carriers, who have the potential to be future leaders in the bleeding disorders community. Two scholarships are being offered to two exceptional and deserving young female candidates from the US. The recipients will be funded to attend all of the following:
- WFH Global National Member Organization Training (GNMOT)
June 13 – 17, 2020
This training, held before and during the WFH World Congress for national member organizations of the WFH, includes capacity-building sessions for patient organizations in both developed and developing countries. Capacity building, leadership and strengthening of patient organizations are among the essential components of this program.
- WFH World Congress
June 14 – 17 June 2020
The WFH World Congress is the single largest event in the WFH calendar and is very important to the global bleeding disorders community. Every second year, doctors, scientists, healthcare workers, people with bleeding disorders and bleeding disorders organizations gather to learn, discuss and debate the latest developments in bleeding disorders treatment and contribute to a strong global organization and community.
- WFH Annual Meeting of the General Assembly
June 18, 2020
Held every two years following the WFH World Congress, this formal invitation-only meeting brings together the leaders of the WFH’s national member organizations (NMO) to discuss and vote on items such as the WFH Constitution, WFH Board membership, new NMOs and future Congress bids.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be considered:
- Be between 18-30 years old on or before June 2020
- Be a female with hemophilia, von Willebrand disease or another bleeding disorder, or be a carrier
- Demonstrate leadership or strong leadership potential
- Have a can-do attitude
- Be able to communicate and work in English (Spanish is an asset)
- Have been an active volunteer of her bleeding disorder organization for at least the past year
- Be committed to working with her bleeding disorder organization for at least the next two years after completing the training
- Not have participated in any previous WFH World Congresses
- Not have been a previous SSMF scholarship winner
Please make sure to forward all completed forms and following documents at the same time:
Part 1: Applicants
- Recent curriculum vitae or resume (2 pages maximum)
- One letter of recommendation (for example, from an employer or other institution where the applicant has worked, volunteered or studied) This letter may not come from a chapter, current NHF staff member or a family member/friend.
Part 2: Chapters
- Note: Executive Directors, Camp Directors, Program Directors, and other chapter staff are eligible to complete Part 2 of the SSMF application.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, June 14, 2019.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the chapter completes and submits the referral form by Friday, June 14, 2019.
Your application will not be considered complete until we receive all application materials. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The SSMF Scholarship recipients will be announced at the National Hemophilia Foundation Bleeding Disorders Conference in Anaheim, from October 3-5, 2019. More details will be given to the recipients together with the acceptance letters.
What is Included
Transportation and Travel
- Return economy class round trip airfare from the winner’s US location to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Ground transportation on arrival from airport in Kuala Lumpur to the hotel and also on departure from the hotel to the airport in Kuala Lumpur
- Daily shuttle service to/from the hotel and Convention Center
- Shared hotel accommodations (June 12-18, 2020)
- Note: Single rooms are available for an additional cost; more information will be given at booking time
- Breakfast: included in hotel
- Weekend lunch (Saturday and Sunday): near the GNMOT meeting room
- Week lunch (Monday – Wednesday): at the Exhibition hall
- Dinner (Monday and Wednesday): Congress social event and Congress closing banquet
Note: dinners not included above should be covered by scholarship recipients.
- GNMOT, WFH World Congress, and the WFH Annual Meeting of the General Assembly registration
- A treatment room, and medical personnel will be available on-site
Items NOT covered by the SSMF Scholarship:
- Transportation between your home and the airport (departure and arrival)
- Visa fees (if applicable)
- Medical and travel insurance (it is mandatory that you obtain both of these)
- Hotel room incidentals (e.g. Internet access, telephone calls, laundry, room service or pay-per-view movies)
- Dinners besides the Congress Social Event and Congress Closing Banquet
- Costs associated with early arrivals or late departures unless otherwise approved by WFH USA