Susan Skinner Memorial Fund (SSMF) Scholarship
The Susan Skinner Memorial Fund (SSMF) Scholarship was established in 2007 by the World Federation of Hemophilia USA (WFH USA) to support the training of women with bleeding disorders, or who are carriers, who have the potential to be future leaders in the bleeding disorders community. Two scholarships are being offered to two exceptional and deserving young female candidates from the US. The recipients will be funded to attend all of the following:
- WFH Global National Member Organization Training (GNMOT)
May 17-19, 2018
These three-day workshops, held before the WFH World Congress for national member organizations of the WFH, include capacity-building sessions for patient organizations in both developed and developing countries. Youth issues, succession planning and leadership are among the essential components of this program.
- WFH World Congress
May 20-24, 2018
The WFH World Congress is the single largest event in the WFH calendar and is very important to the global bleeding disorders community. Every second year, doctors, scientists, healthcare workers, people with bleeding disorders and bleeding disorders organizations gather to learn, discuss and debate the latest developments in bleeding disorders treatment and contribute to a strong global organization and community.
- WFH Annual Meeting of the General Assembly
May 25, 2018
Held every two years following the WFH World Congress, this formal invitation-only meeting brings together the leaders of the WFH’s national member organizations (NMO) to discuss and vote on items such as the WFH Constitution, WFH Board membership, new NMOs and future Congress bids.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be considered:
- Be between 18-30 years old on or before May 17, 2018
- Be a female with hemophilia, von Willebrand disease or another bleeding disorder, or be a carrier.
- Demonstrate leadership or strong leadership potential
- Have a can-do attitude
- Be able to communicate and work in English (Spanish is an asset)
- Have been an active volunteer of her bleeding disorder organization for at least the past year
- Be committed to working with her bleeding disorder organization for at least the next two years after completing the training
- Not have participated in any previous WFH World Congress
- Not have been a previous SSMF scholarship winner
Please make sure to forward all completed forms at the same time.
- Upload recent curriculum vitae or resume (2 pages maximum)
- Upload one letter of recommendation (for example, from an employer or other institution where the applicant has worked, volunteered or studied. This letter may not come from a chapter, current NHF staff member or a family member/friend.)
- Note: Executive Directors, Camp Directors, Program Directors, and other chapter staff are eligible to complete Part 2 of the SSMF application.
Applications must be submitted or postmarked by Thursday, June 15, 2017.
It is your responsibility to ensure that the chapter completes the referral form by Thursday, June 15, 2017.
Your application will not be considered complete until we receive all application materials. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The winners will be announced at the NHF Official Annual Meeting and Awards Ceremony on August 26, 2017.
What is Included
Transportation and Travel
- Return economy class round trip airfare from the winner’s US location to Glasgow, Scotland
- Ground transportation on arrival from airport in Glasgow to the GNMOT hotel
- Ground transportation from the GNMOT hotel to the Congress hotel
- Daily shuttle service to/from the Congress hotel and Convention Center
- Shared hotel accommodations during GNMOT, Congress, and the WFH Annual Meeting of the General Assembly (May 16-25)
- Note: Single rooms are available for an additional cost; more information will be available
- Meals during the GNMOT
- Congress Banquet Dinner
- GNMOT, WFH World Congress, and the WFH Annual Meeting of the General Assembly registration
- A treatment room and medical personnel will be on-site at each event
Items NOT covered by the SSMF Scholarship:
- Transportation between your home and the airport
- Visa fees (if applicable)
- Medical and travel insurance (it is mandatory that you obtain both of these)
- Hotel room incidentals (e.g. Internet access, telephone calls, laundry, room service or pay-per-view movies)
- Meals during Congress (Breakfast may be included at your hotel)
- Costs associated with early arrivals or late departures unless otherwise approved by WFH USA